Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 5 - An Adaptation Review

First, I would like to tell you that I am not avoiding Amazing Spider-Man like I did with Spiderman 3, but rather, i am preparing to make this a very special review since it is the last in my Spiderman review Marathon and I won't be reviewing Adapted movies afterward for a bit. I'm doing a lot of research into the movie and seeing what other more respected reviewers have to say before I give my piece.

Now, onto this episode. This was a pretty good episode and I'm glad to see that the show hasn't dropped in quality since episode 3. It was a pretty crucial episode as well so I hope you all watched it. In this episode, information on a meta-human (a human with super-powers but no clearly defined origin story behind them) in china has been leaked to the Centipede organization and he's been kidnapped. Worse-yet, Skye has been suspected of being a traitor since the leak has been trailed back to the Rising Tide, Skye's own group of Cyber Terrorists.

There's going to be a lot of info delivered on this episode because a LOT happens, so to make sure I don't give you a synopsis instead of a review, I'm going to discuss the characters and my review first. FIRST, this was a great Skye-Coulson episode. We see the betrayal Coulson feels since he was the one who recruited Skye and we see the guilt Skye feels for betraying them.

The episode itself is very good, one of the best so far. a LOT happens in it and it feels a lot like a movie short instead of an episode with how well written it is. There isn't a lot of pointless drama, or bad writing, it's all done correctly and nothing is dragged out. The reveals are made swiftly so as to not leave us groaning or pad for time and there's actually a lot that happens. If this were a movie, this could actually be a main plot for it. Though a couple sub-plots would probably need to be included for the run-time and to make it work.

Now for the knew characters. Chan (I forget his full name since it isn't on the wiki yet and I am terrible with names) is a meta-human with pyro-kinesis. He can create, manipulate, and is immune to fire. He's a stage magician who wants to be a star, but he is forced to keep his gifts a secret because of SHIELD. Once again, just like the Gravity episode, we see SHIELD's attempts to protect the world being turned against them.

We then get the girl in the flower-dress. I forget her name but it was probably a false identity anyway. She seems to be our evil Lieutenant for the show, making many of the orders on behalf of her organization (the same centipede group as the pilot). She also has a hobby of making superhero names for people: She gave Chan the name Scorch.

This is actually lamp-shaded a couple times, both by a scientist working for her, and Coulson. The scientist herself isn't very special and since she dies at the end, there isn't much left to talk about with her.

Last is Skye's hacker boyfriend(or ex-boyfriend). He's a fellow Rising Tide cyber-terrorist, one who seems really cool at first but then appears lost and kind of pathetic (though not enough to make him detestable). He and Skye were still together during her work with SHIELD, which became a problem when he got paid one million dollars to leak SHIELD intel on Chan to the Centipede group.

The centipede group is still experimenting with the Extremis serum from the first episode, but this time it feels a lot more natural. I guess I shouldn't have been too hard on the first episode for it's molotov super-soldier cocktail, but I wasn't that harsh. In this episode, the group wants to use Chan's immunity to fire to stabilize Extremis's problem with bowing people up. It works, but it results in Chan loosing that immunity and getting burned whenever he uses his power. This leads to Chan going homicidal on the entire lab, almost even taking out Coulson and May as well.

Luckily(or rather unluckily for me), they manage to inject him with two more dosages of Extremis to make him blow up. I understand that this was natural and expected and I like how they handled it all with Skye's boyfriend helping to quell the damage, but I was really liking this Scorch guy and wanted to see him in further episodes. But oh well, it was nice knowing him.

Well, hopefully I did better than a synopsis with this review and you all are enjoying Agents of SHIELD. All in all, this was another decent chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment