Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 3 - An Adaptation Review

First, I greatly apologies for the late reviews. My internet has been down so I never got a chance to re-watch Spiderman 3 and yesterday my workload prevented me from putting out a review of Agents of SHIELD right away afterward like I normally do. I will get around to reviewing the Spiderman movies some more but some other time (My hesitation also stems to the fact that Spiderman 3 is just crap and I reeeeeeaaaaaally don't want to watch it. I'm hoping one of my flatmates will agree to watch it with me.)

Now onto the review.

This episode is by far the best episode so far, but with the waist that was the last one and the weak opening that was the first, you really can't expect much in the form of shocking improvement. But I still say that this episode is really good.

WARNING: Major spoilers of this episode, sorry but I already gave my grade for it so let's go on ahead. First, let's give a plot synopsis: A very talented scientist held in protection by SHIELD has been kidnaped and investigation has led them to believe that he has been taken to Malta and is outside of SHIELD's jurisdiction. So they send Skye in as a mole during a party of his and she sneaks them in to get the scientist out.

Now the two new characters. The kidnapped scientist is named Dr. Franklin Hall, played by Ian Hart, and his kidnapper, is Ian Quinn, an old college buddy of his who is played by David Conrad. Franklin is a very smart scientist who actually taught Fritz and Simmons back in their days as students. He is also quickly becoming a very close favorite of mine. I soon discovered that Hall is actually a character from the comic books who goes by the names Gravitron. He seems to be a much different character this time around though and I like the transformation here.

There isn't much to say about Ian Quinn except for him being a selfish mineral digger who hates being confided by international regulation. He takes an old research theory that Hall made when they were drunk in college and actually got a prototype working and he "rescues" Hall from SHIELD custody because he wants him to work for him.

Here's were I really start to like Hall's character. Hall accepts Quinn's proposal, but only so that he can use the machine to kill Quinn and his entire complex. The machine uses an incredibly rare element called "Gravitonium" (I might have botched the spelling but who cares really) that can manipulate gravity. Coulson gets down to the lab and tries to save Hall but is surprised when he learns Hall's plans. Fritz and Simmons tell him he needs to use a catalyst to shut down the Gravitonium and the machine. Left with no other option, Coulson sends Hall into the Gravitonium and kills him and the machine.

The episode ends with Hall's hand reaching out of the Gravitonium and signaling for the coming of the first super villain of the show.

Now for the character development. This is really a Skye centered episode more than anything. They play the whole "can-we-trust-skye" thing again, though it's the third episode so I can let it slide, especially since it's the first time it was used so majorly. She's genuinely getting to care for the team and the mission also, and her relationship with Agent Ward is getting closer. I predict that by the end of the season their feelings are going to get full circle.

I like the debate on government power in this episode also, since neither side is painted in the 100% right. SHIELD is fighting to help people but their aren't exactly doing a 100% good job at it since their attempt to create infinite clean energy caused an alien invasion, but if men like Quinn get away with this then the world would be even worse. Really it's not that SHIELD are the good guys, it's Coulson's team that are the good guys.

Now for some predictions: Coulson is loosing a lot of his "muscle memory" lately and it could be a sign that he has a new body, which works with the LMB theory that he did die in the Avengers and this is a new Coulson body. I very much like this idea because LMDs are really just a plot device as of now and it would be great to have a character who is specifically a LMD.

That's it folks, see ya later, hopefully I'll have a review of Spiderman 3 next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment