Monday, April 21, 2014

Dragon Age Origins: Journal: Day 2

Day 2

Duncan has taken me to the capital to become a Greywarden, he tells me that I am allowed to explore the city, so long as I remember to find the Greywarden Alister. When we made our way to the entrance we were created by the king himself, he seems kind, overambitious and unaware of the more unfortunate things in his kingdom, but kind nonetheless. 


After we left the king I found my way to Tir Loghain's tent. He seems like a good general. A lowborn who rose to high ranks in a single battle is a great achievement. His guards don't believe the king is heading his advice very much, but I hope the king is not without humility to accept help from all sides, and not just Duncan's Greywardens, who he seems to idolize. The king seems to be looking for an adventure, let us hope he finds it, and not just bloodshed.


I found out about a breed of dog that apparently can understand orders as well as a man can, quite a feet from what I've seen of dogs. Sadly the dog seems to have eaten the blood of a darkspawn. Duncan has yet to tell me the full stakes of the war, only that a Blight seems to be taking place. The King doesn't seem to think it's a full Blight though, I hope many lives aren't lost because of this war. The guard taking care of the dog has asked me to find a root that may heal the Dog's suffering. I pray i can help, i'd hate to see a beast put down because of this.


I met a mage soon enough it seems. She calls herself Wynne. She tells me about the Darkspawn, where they are said to have come from. They seem to be from Fade, city of Dream, born from the very darkness of men. She wonders if it is just a fable or if it is true. I wonder myself.


I meet a man named Daveth, he's another Greywarden recruit, like myself it seems. He tells me that the elders mean to send us in the Wilds, savage lands, perhaps while I'm there I can find that herb for the dog. Or maybe I can see for myself what a Darkspawn is like. A good battle might show me were I stand in this war.


After selling some of the leftover weapons and armor i took from the human's place, I met one of the Tranquil, an Enchanter who provides the income for the rest of the mages. He explained to me the profits and price of using Enchantment magic. He also explained what Tranquil means. It means to be stripped of emotion. This is done so that if a dark spirit tries to take over a mage, hungry for their power, they do not become a danger to others. He seems unaffected by this condition of his, and seems healthy, so I do not fear for him as much as I feel I should. Perhaps it is because I did not know of his character before this.


I then met a priestess who bestowed a blessing from her Lord upon me. I do not think the Maker would be angry if I accepted the help of other Gods besides him.


I met up with Allistair finally. He's an interesting fellow, cheeky, but not rude. He'll be accompanying me during my ritual to become a full greywarden. He tells me he used to be a templar, a Mage-hunter, before Duncan recruited him. But I trust that he won't pose too much of a problem.


After returning to Duncan I met up with Daveth and Jory, the two other recruits. we were given our tasks, collect a vial of darkspawn blood and retrieve some lost treaties, left behind when the region became too dangerous. I learn about the two's character and story. Jory was a knight who had only recently married a year ago, while Daveth was a thief who was conscripted by Duncan or else he faced the guards for his crimes. Learning about them both made me feel i had a better understanding of them, and that made me trust them more. Let us hope this trust isn't misplaced


After battling my way through some easily killable Darkspawn, we came across a witch of the wilds by the name of Morigan. MY comrades felt it necessary to treat her with hostility, but i felt treating her with hostility would only draw unneeded conflict. She took us to her mother, who in turn gave us the treaties. Morigan was nice enough to lead us out, with a coax from her mother. I hope they become allies in the future. Her mother tells us the threat is greater than we realize, which worries me. She does not look like one with nonsense flowing through her brain.


Upon our return, I gave the herb that was needed to save the dog and the treaties and blood to duncan. He warns us that the ritual could kill us, but he trusts our skill, so i will trust his trust in me. Jory is fearful, i don't blame him. 

Duncan tells us that the ritual entails drinking the blood of the darkspawn, gaining the ability to sense them and use this power against the more powerful archdemon. Sadly the ritual is not a safe one. Daveth drank first and was dead within moments, Jory got scared and drew his blade, forcing Duncan to draw his own. I was the only to survive. Hopefully I won't have to watch so many comrades die by comrade's hands. 


After the ritual Duncan told me that he had a meeting he wanted me to join, I accepted and he and Alistair left for the night.


After meeting with the King and Loghain, we discussed battle plans. Loghain was less than thrilled by the King's desire to fight alongside the Greywardens in the front lines, but he buckled down and discussed strategy. Alistair and I were then assigned to light a signal torch for Loghain's men to see when the time came for a flank from the rear. We only have an hour after Duncan's forces head out to reach the beacon, I pray for my Maker to give me the time.


After making our way past the bridge, we found the tower completely overrun with Darkspawn for some reason. We fought our way through the masses, even came across what appeared to be a giant, though he fell quickly to my bow and our Cleric's staff. Unfortunately, our task was no successful. We lit the beacon, yes. But were soon attacked again in hordes. I took a few arrows to the chest and feared for death to come so soon after taking my quest. 

Luckily, Morrigon's mother saved us. I did not recall the incident, i passed out from shock, but she claims to have plucked us from the sky while transformed as a giant bird. Only Alistair and i survived. Duncan and the King are dead. Morrigon tells me that Loghain betrayed our cause, why he did such a thing bewilders me.


Morrigon's mother reveals herself to be Flemeth, the true Witch of the Wilds as she, Allistair and I have formulated a strategy now that we have regained our footing. We shall use the treaty and the King's death to unite the Dwarves, Elves, Mages, and the king's Uncle to our cause so as to combat the Blight as well as put Longhain down in the dirt. The traitor deserves to die for his deeds. Flemeth then gives us Morrion as an extra pair of eyes and hands to help us on our journey. she was … less than thrilled by the prospect, but still grateful for this chance to leave

No comments:

Post a Comment