Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Monster university (Review)

This movie did something that doesn't happen very often, and to quote the movie, "it surprised me". Don't worry, since this movie JUST came out, I won't give a spoiler here (If I accidentally give one please do not murder me in the dark with a rusty paper clip. A clean paper clip will do just fine thank you)

Now, this movie really requires you to watch the original movie, not that you won't enjoy or understand the movie at all if you don't. Monster U really adds to the enjoyment of Monster Inc by taking the original concept of the movie and expanding on it. 

But while the original was kind of straight forward with the plot and didn't really leave much to shock besides the twist in the end, Monster U really kept me guessing. Not only about how the movie was going to end, but how the movie was going to progress. Normally for these school-themed movies or sports-themed movies, you get the rivalry and the teamwork and everything like that, but you don't handle it the same way at all. Problems are shown throughout the movie and I don't even know when the actual plot of the movie kicks in. The movie's pacing feels really fluctuent, moving from traditional to a tad lingering (For too long in my opinion) to very brisk, and aside from the lingering moment, the movie never leaves you waiting. In fact, it always leaves you guessing. 

You at first think that the movie is going to be heading in one direction with the tones it is taking, and as soon as you feel that the movie is going to cut to the next scene, it keeps it going, moving onward to pull the joke in a little more or to add more to the heart of the film. The movie doesn't work in the traditional cinematic approach and really shows Disney's true colors as an animation industry. There are many moments where you genuinely think that the movie is going to fall for one of their many classic blunders of story writing, especially in the classic underdog story, but now. First it looks like he's going to loose, then he wins and the movie almost feels anti-climatic with the movie feeling like it still had momentum moving it along, then the movie throws a few shake ups and just when you almost feel like it is going to follow the formula again, it throws it back in your face and pulls a very amazing climax, which even then, almost ended cliche.

Now, again, before I go into the spoiler bits, I need to talk about some really great moments of timing. Not in the movie, but in another movie: Man of Steel. The theatre I go to is a small theatre with only two movies playing at a time, one on top of the other with a flimsy wooden ceiling that blocks sound as well as the walls in my house block the cold. Not very well. So as the third act was coming through, Man of Steel began triumphantly playing its loud booming music that was used to portray awe and fright in the move. but when it played over Monster University, the sound worked even better. The Sad symphony being played sounded more melancholy, but when the war tunes were added, the music changed from sad to scary. I felt a tad scared for what these characters were going to do. I watched a guy on the internet do a comparison between the ending music of The Incredible Hulk TV show and the MacGyver TV shows and talked about how the ending emotional attachment really works depending on which track you use. 

When I heard the music to the Man of Steel playing over Monster University, I couldn't help but feel in awe and terrified since I no longer could assess the direction the film was going in. The movie scared and surprised me.

Now, before I start spoiling the movie, I should give my grade. I give Monster University 10/10 and is a must see for all ages, even adults by their lonesome. And more than anything, I highly recommend those going to college to check out this film, there's so much in here that's relatable for use college students.

No comments:

Post a Comment